Google Maps Results
Google Maps is a stand-alone search engine, separate from Google's organic search. Rank Ranger supports Google Maps tracking.
Please note that when you make Campaign Settings changes, the change will be reflected in the next day's rank tracking results.
Google Maps Search Results
Google Maps results are found by searching https://www.google.com/maps/
Google Maps search engine serves results from the same database whether the device is desktop or mobile.
Google Maps Business Listing
Clicking a search result in Google Maps, launches the Google Place listing. Being maps, directions and the option to send to your phone or share are the focus. There's also an option to search for other places of interest near the business, and if the business has included hours or other information in their listing, that displays along with customer reviews and an option to post a review.
Add Google Maps Tracking to Campaign
In Campaign Settings > Search Engines
- Select the Search Engine Country
- Select Google Maps in the Search Engine list
- Click the Add button
Rank Tracking & Report Options
Click the Custom Location & Options
button and complete these fields:
- Custom Search Engine Name (optional): this displays in reports
- Custom Location Settings: the search engine country has already been selected, you can target the location further by entering a state, city or postal code in any of these formats:
- California: this narrows a USA search to the state of California
- Miami, FL: this narrows a USA search to the city of Miami, Florida
- 90210, USA: this narrows a USA search to a postal code within a city (in the US, it is necessary to add a comma after the postal code and include USA)
- London: this targets a UK search to the city of London
- WC1N: this targets a UK search to a specific postal code
Click the Save button
when you have finished customizing the search engine.
What is the difference between Google Local Finder and Google Maps?
Google Maps tracking is done via https://www.google.com/maps/
Google Local Finder is a feature of https://www.google.com/search/
that is accessed by clicking the "More Places" link at the bottom of a Local Pack
One might expect that both options would provide the same search results, however, that is not always the case as is detailed in the following example based on a search for "factory outlet malls in new york state".
Comparison of Google Local Finder and Google Maps Results
In this side by side comparison of the same keyword, we see that Google Local Finder and Maps are not providing the exact same results. For example, in Local Finder rank position 1 was Express Factory Outlet vs. Adirondack Factory Outlet Mall in Maps.
Rerunning the same search multiple times in the same browser (or when logged into a Google account), may produce matching results as Google learns from your activity.
The user experience is also different with respect to the format, yet similar with respect to some of the information displayed when clicking on a search result.
Local Finder Business Listing
Google Maps Business Listing
- Google Business listing format with link to website (if available)
- Directions and the option to save the location to your Google account
- Additional information displays if the business has added it to their listing (e.g., business hours, photos, etc.) and if customers have posted questions, reviews or photos
- Option to ask questions, post a review or photo
- Google Places listing in a different format than the Local Finder
- Directions with the option to send to your phone or share with someone
- There's also an option to search for other places of interest near the business
- If the business has included hours or other information in their listing that displays along with customer reviews
- Option to post a review