Overall Ranking Performance
The Overall Ranking Performance report displays start and end keyword rank, and overall rank change for a specific date range per URL/Domain and Keyword. Google AdWords keyword metrics and MajesticSEO & Ahrefs domain metrics are also available for display in this report.
Competitor Rank Performance
Compare Competitor Rank Performance, Backlinks & PPC
In this example, the report is set to group by Keywords, and all tracked Domains have been selected. The Date Added, Baseline Date, Baseline Rank and Overall Change columns have been set to display
Analyze Overall Keyword Rank Performance
In this example, the report is grouped by Domain and only the primary tracked website is selected. Keyword Tags, Date Added, Baseline Date, Baseline Rank, Report Date and Overall Change columns have been set to display. The report can also be filtered to display only keywords with specific tags, and can be sorted by any column.
- Click the calendar icon to select the report End Date
- Custom Report Title: (optional) enter a Title to display centered at the top of your report. This title will also display on your white label PDF reports; both in the bookmarked links and at the top of the report.
Display General Columns:
- Keyword Tags: displays a column containing tags per keyword. To display only specific tags, use the Keyword Tag filter
- Date Added: displays the date the Keyword was added to the campaign, or when a new search engine was added and keyword tracking began
- Baseline Date: displays a column with the date that RangerBot first recorded rank for the keyword.
- Baseline Rank: displays a column with the rank on the 1st day the keyword was added to the campaign, or if the keyword did not rank within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine, then Baseline displays the first rank recorded by Rank Ranger for the Keyword when it did rank.
- Date: display the report date column
- Overall Change: display a column with the difference in the number of rank positions between Baseline Rank and current Rank
Display Keyword Metrics Columns:
- Avg. Monthly Volume: based on Keyword Planner when the keyword was added to the campaign (learn more)
- PPC Competition: displays a column representing the keyword's competition score based on the number of advertisers bidding on each keyword. Hover over the High/Medium/Low result to view the actual percentage.
Display Domain Metric Columns:
- Majestic Indexed Pages is the domain's total number of pages indexed by Majestic
- Majestic Domain Backlinks is the domain's total number of backlinks reported by Majestic
- Majestic Citation Flow is a flow metric that is weighted by the number of citations to a given URL, or Domain
- Majestic Trust Flow is a flow metric that is weighted by the number of clicks from a seed set of trusted sites to a given URL, or Domain.
- Ahrefs Indexed Pages is the domain's total number of pages indexed by Ahrefs
- Ahrefs Domain Backlinks is the domain's total number of backlinks reported by Ahrefs
Sort and Group:
- Sort Field: select the field that you want the report to be sorted by
- Sort Direction: select the sort direction ascending or descending
- Group by Domains, Keywords or Tags determines the content of each table
- Select Keywords you want displayed in the report
Important: When you add keywords to a campaign you need to open Report Options and check the boxes beside the new keywords or click the Reset button to display all keywords in your report. The number of keywords currently included in your report displays directly below the report title where you'll find the words "Displaying # out of ## keywords" for your convenience. That calculation comes from the settings you select here.
- Show or Hide the display of Keyword Tags in the report
- Select Tag(s) to filter the report results by: use the All or None link for quick selection, or individually check the boxes beside the keyword tags to be included in the report.
Important: Refer to Tag Manager for more information about creating Keyword Tag Groups and Tag Options.
- Select the website(s) to be displayed in the report: use the All or None link for quick selection, or check the boxes beside the individual sites.
- Select the search engine(s) you want included in the report
- Use the up and down arrows to reorder the display of search engines in your report, if desired
Conveniently add a report or graph with its current settings to a PDF report by hovering over the gold gear icon and selecting Add to PDF Reports
Select the PDF Report that you want the report or graph added to
Drag the new report or graph into the position you want it to display in the PDF and confirm that the Date settings do not conflict with the automated scheduling settings.
PDF Report Settings - Overall Ranking Performance
Reports and graphs can be added to automated PDF reports via the report screen (as described above) or manually in the PDF Report Content screen. If the report is added via the:
- report screen, then begin by clicking the Edit button corresponding to the report
- PDF Report Content screen, then click the Add Report button and select the Campaign name and Report: Overall Ranking Performance
Expand the Date Options section and in the Show Report data ending on field select one of the following options:
In the of field select one of the following options:
- first day
- last day
- or a specific day of the month
- or a specific day of the week (when weekly reports are selected)
In the next field select one of the following options:
The selection must produce a logical date setting based on the PDF report's automated scheduling (at the bottom of the Report Details screen). For example:
If the report is scheduled to be sent every Monday, then the following example would be invalid:
- last day of last month
- 1st of this month
- last day of last week
If the report is scheduled to be sent on the 1st day of every month, the following example would be invalid:
- Saturday of this week (because weeks begin on Sunday and if reports are sent on Monday, then Saturday of this week hasn't yet occurred).
- last day of this month (because it's only the 1st day of the month the report is being sent)
- Display a Keyword Tags by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column containing tags per keyword. To display only specific tags, use the Keyword Tag filter.
- Display a Date Added by moving the slider to the right. Displays the date the Keyword was added to the campaign, or when a new search engine was added and keyword tracking began.
- Display Baseline Date by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column with the date that RangerBot first recorded rank for the keyword.
- Display Baseline Rank by moving the slider to the right. Displays a column with the rank on the 1st day the keyword was added to the campaign, or if the keyword did not rank within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine, then Baseline displays the first rank recorded by Rank Ranger for the Keyword when it did rank.
- Display the Date column by moving the slider to the right.
- Display a Overall Change by moving the slider to the right.
- Display Average Monthly Volume by moving the slider to the right. (learn more about Keyword Search Volume.
- Display PPC Competition by moving the slider to the right.
Display Domain Metric columns by moving the slider to the right for each selection.
- Majestic Indexed Pages is the domain's total number of pages indexed by Majestic.
- Majestic Domain Backlinks is the domain's total number of backlinks reported by Majestic.
- Majestic Citation Flow is a flow metric that is weighted by the number of citations to a given URL, or Domain.
- Majestic Trust Flow is a flow metric that is weighted by the number of clicks from a seed set of trusted sites to a given URL, or Domain.
- Ahrefs Indexed Pages is the domain's total number of pages indexed by Ahrefs.
- Ahrefs Domain Backlinks is the domain's total number of backlinks reported by Ahrefs.
Group By option: allows you to group by Domain (for viewing 1 table per keyword including competitor domains) and Keywords (for viewing 1 table with all keywords for 1 domain).
- Sort Field: select the field that you want the report to be sorted.
- Sort Direction: select the sort direction ascending or descending.
Select Keywords you want displayed in the report.
Display Keyword Tags in a report column by moving the the Show Keyword Tags slider to the right.
Filter the report by Tags by selecting specific tags.
Select the Website(s) to be displayed in the report: use the All or None link for quick selection, or check the boxes beside the individual sites.
Select the Search Engines to display in the report.
If multiple Search Engines are selected, you have the option to change the display order by clicking the arrow next to the Search Engine and dragging it into the desired order.
Add to Marketing Dashboard
Conveniently add a report or graph with its current settings to a marketing dashboard:
1. Hover over the gold gear icon and select Add to Marketing Dashboard
2. Select the Dashboard
3. Select the Dashboard Page
that you want the report added to
4. Click the "Go to Dashboard
" link to further customize the report (e.g., drag it to a specific position on the page, change date settings, etc.)
Refer to the Report Options
section for details regarding the display settings, filters and sort options available for this report.
The report date (or date range) is governed by the selected Dashboard date option: Date Selection or Fixed Periods, learn more...
- Daily reports default to the last day of the selected period
- Weekly and monthly reports default to 1 month of data
To change the number of weeks or months displayed in a specific report, click the gear icon for any marketing dashboard report element and expand the Date option section, enter the number and click the Save Button.
Customize Report for Client Dashboard
Client Dashboards display our default report options for each individual report and graph until you modify them. To customize the display of the report, expand the Report Options section, change the settings and click the Apply Changes button.
Then expand Report Options again and hover over the Save icon and select Save as Default for Client Dashboard
After saving the Client Dashboard default, any changes that you make to the report options will not affect the display in the Client Dashboard unless you overwrite it by following these instructions again.
Enable the Report or Graph to display in the Client Dashboard
Open the Campaign Settings > Client Dashboard
screen and check the box corresponding to the report(s) you want displayed in the dashboard, and then click the Save
The meaning of 100+, N/A, N/R, "-" and
The three moving dots
are an indicator that rank tracking is in progress for the keywords and you should check the report later in the day for results. We do the best we can to complete the rank tracking as early as possible every day, however, there are some factors that are beyond our control (e.g., search engine response rate).
Rank Tracker Dashboard displaying tracking in progress for the keywords "smart home technology" and "home security".
is our system default for when our rank tracker did not find the keyword ranking for the primary domain within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine (refer to our current list of supported search engines
and rank depth for additional information), and the search engine did
return webpages on other domains with results for the keyword.
Rank Tracker Dashboard displaying 100+ as the rank result for several keywords. Options exist in the Account Settings > Theme & Localization screen to set no rank within tracked results as "100+", "N/A", "NR", or "-"
means that the search engine did not
return any result for the keyword, which most likely means that the keyword is not indexed by the search engine at all (e.g., the keyword "lawn mower Nome, Alaska").
N/A is also an account-wide option that can be selected in the Theme & Localization settings
to represent no rank value (e.g., instead of 100+), other options include "NR", "-", or "100+". Please check your account settings before requesting assistance for a keyword that you are certain is indexed.
If you're using one of our rank reporting APIs
, they return a dash "-" in the rank field when no value is available.
If your account is relatively new, and depending on several variables (number of keywords, number of search engines, date range, etc.), rank reports can take anywhere from a few minutes to a 8 hours until your first reports will display all of the data. In the case of a campaign that is a day or more old, incorrect campaign configuration can lead to empty reports as well. Clicking the Default Report Settings
button usually resolves the issue.
Common causes for 'no data found' message:
- Account is new and our rank tracker is gathering data
- Invalid date range (e.g., the report start date is older than the campaign creation date)
- Keyword / URL combination on report options was not found
- within the maximum supported results tracked by each search engine (refer to our current list of supported search engines and rank depth for additional information). Note that this is relevant only for rank reports and graphs.
- Incomplete campaign setup (missing URL / Keywords / Search Engines / Authorized Connections)
- Website is new and hasn't been indexed by search engines yet
- Authorized connection to a third party data provider has expired or been configured incorrectly (refer to the third party integration, or specific report documentation)
- Delays or outage of third party data provider (e.g., Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
If keywords are missing completely from a rank report, there are 2 possibilities:
- New keywords may have been added to the campaign, but not selected. Learn more...
- The search engine did not return any result for the keyword on any domain. In some rank reports, Rank Ranger will not display keywords for which the search engine displays no results - meaning no results for any URL on the web. So if Google.com has results, but Google Mobile does not, you will see results for the keyword in the Google.com table, but the keyword will not display at all in the Google Mobile table. That is the way the system is designed because it needs a response from the search engine in order to record a number and when there is no response, then there is no number.
If you need assistance after reviewing and trying the options listed above, please contact our technical support team
There is a maximum limit of 1000 keywords per campaign
in order to ensure efficient report generation and convenient viewing. Adding more than 1000 keywords to a campaign will cause some functionality to be disabled.
If you need to track more than 1000 keywords for a site, then best practice is to create additional campaigns (e.g., separate them by keyword category, location, tags, etc.). If you have an Enterprise package, you can view rank performance data for multiple campaigns in the Portfolio Report
and by using cross-campaign metrics in the Insight Graph
and Single Metric Widgets