Competitor Research API
The Competitor Research API method provides a list of up to 100 competitor domains.
Requests for Organic results include:
- Competitor domain
- Number of keywords ranking in the top 10 search results
- Number of keywords competitor has in common with queried domain
- Percentage of common keywords
- Number of keywords unique to the competitor
- Number of keywords unique to the queried domain
Requests for Paid results include:
- Competitor domain
- Number of paid keywords
- Number of paid keywords competitor and queried domain have in common
- Percentage of common paid keywords
- Number of paid keywords unique to competitor
- Number of paid keywords unique to the queried domain
For information on how to obtain API access, a key, error codes, etc. please select the relevant option from the Table of Contents below.
The daily usage limit for this API is based on the number of Site Explorer URLs per day included in your package. If you require additional capacity, please contact us
for package upgrade pricing.
||The unique API key assigned to your account
||Search Engine ID, refer to Search Engine List API method
||The Rank Ranger Package ID can be obtained by running the Get Packages Info API
Packages have a capacity for Site Explorer requests, and this API utilizes that capacity.
||Output format options:
- &output=xml (this is the default format)
Either of these parameters can be added to the json output parameter:
(forces the results to come back as array instead of objects)
(causes the entire json to be wrapped as array)
|Construct & test Competitor Research API requests in the API Console or follow one of these examples:
|Organic Competitors, XML format
|Paid Competitors, JSON format
The default output is in XML format, if you would like the output to be json the you will need to add &output=json
at the end of the string
If you'd like to help determining which of our API plans is most appropriate for your needs, contact our service team
and an account manager will be happy to assist you.
If you already have a Rank Ranger plan and see an error message when accessing the Account Settings > API & Connected Apps
screen, then to obtain API access you will need to upgrade to a package that includes API access by completing a custom package request
form or contacting Rank Ranger support
with your requirements.
If your company has API services included in a plan and you aren't able to access the screen, contact your company's Rank Ranger account administrator to request that your user permissions
be set to include access to the Account Settings > API & Connected Apps
You can obtain API Keys per user if your Rank Ranger account has API access by navigating to
2. API Resources
3. API Key Generator
4. Click the Generate Key
5. Select a User and add a note (optional)
6. Click the Add
To make construction of API requests easy, we offer this API testing tool. Most parameters are included in the options of the console, however, you may need to add custom option parameters to your API requests based on the specific API you're using. Referencing the parameters information that is listed in the specific API method documentation, you can construct and test API requests in Rank Ranger's API Console
by navigating to:
2. API Resources > API Console
3. Select the Method and complete the applicable fields
4. Click the Generate
5. Test your API method by clicking the launch URL icon and view your results. Once your results are as you want them, copy that URL into your own application and modify as needed for each request.
Getting Started: Samples of APIs used for Creating Campaigns
We recommend reviewing our Best Practices Guide
prior to structuring campaigns.
Get Packages Info
: Required when there is more than 1 package in an account
Add a Profile
: An option for adding an identifier to your campaigns for categorization (e.g., by language, country, etc)
Get Profile ID list
: Optional Data needed for Add a Campaign
Obtain the Search Engine List
: Data needed for Add a Campaign
Add a Campaign
: Create a new campaign, response will include the Campaign ID number that is needed for adding a search engine and keywords
*Note that Profile ID is an optional field that you may use, if you choose not to use it, then please remove "&profile_id=ProfileIDnumber” from the end of this call
Add a Search Engine
: Add search engine to a campaign
Add a Keyword
: An optional field is available for keyword_identifier field, allowing you to add your own unique identifier to each keyword
Bulk Add Keywords
: You may download and use the spreadsheet found on the Campaign Settings > Keywords screen to organize and import your keywords, or use this API
You'll find additional API methods in the Account Management and Data documentation
Rank Ranger APIs can pull up to 100 queries per minute. If more than 10,000 API GET requests per hour is required, then there is an option available at an additional throughput fee, contact customer service for assistance.
Rank Reporting Method Limits
Research API Methods
- Rank Data & Research Reporting API methods can only provide data from campaigns tracking in your Rank Ranger account.
- You can run an unlimited number of queries through the API.
Search API Method Limits
- The variety of Research Method APIs have limits on the number of queries per day based on the capacity of your package. If you require additional units, please contact customer service and an account manager will provide you with package upgrade pricing.
- SEO Intelligence API method query limits are based on the number of units purchased for your custom plan (e.g., 1 unit = 1 keyword tracked on 1 search engine, 1 time).
- Search API plans do not include access to the reporting platform.