Getting Started with Rank Ranger Developer APIs
Rank Ranger's API allows you to integrate data from your account into your own applications. Tracking data is available in XML and JSON format. Detailed
instructions with parameter options and examples are provided for each API method.
Understanding and Choosing an API Type
- Access to Reporting Rank Data and Research API methods is available as an add-on to a Rank Ranger reporting platform package, and provides results only for the keywords and URLs that are being tracked in a reporting platform campaign. Data is retained for the duration of the package subscription period.
- SEO Intelligence Search API methods include top competitor or specialty search engine data that is only available via API, they do not include access to reports, graphs or analysis tools within the reporting platform. Data retention period varies, please refer to the documentation of the specific Search API method you are interested in.
API package capacity can be upgraded at any time. Multiple types of packages (e.g., reporting platform and a variety of search APIs) can exist in the same account, so it is important to be careful when creating a new campaign to select the correct API or reporting platform package because it is not
- transfer keywords or campaigns between Reporting Platform and API packages or between different types of API packages.
- change an existing API package to a different type (e.g., Rank Top50 to Search Query API).
- change the tracking frequency (e.g. from Monthly to Daily) of an existing API package.
XML & JSON Output Format Options
With API access and an HTTP GET request sent to the API endpoint at https://www.rankranger.com/api/v2/ you are able to retrieve data stored on our servers or execute a search query (depending upon the type of API package).
The default output format is XML, adding "&output=json
" to the end of the string provides results in JSON format.
- &output=xml (this is the default format)
Either of these parameters can be added to the json output parameter:
(forces the results to come back as array instead of objects)
(causes the entire json to be wrapped as array)
The GET request needs to contain parameters that identify the type of data you want, so if, for example, you want to pull the rank stats for a domain (that is tracking in a reporting platform package) on a specific date, you can use the rank_stats API method
Sample XML GET Request & Results
Sample JSON GET Request & Results
If you'd like to help determining which of our API plans is most appropriate for your needs, contact our service team
and an account manager will be happy to assist you.
If you already have a Rank Ranger plan and see an error message when accessing the Account Settings > API & Connected Apps
screen, then to obtain API access you will need to upgrade to a package that includes API access by completing a custom package request
form or contacting Rank Ranger support
with your requirements.
If your company has API services included in a plan and you aren't able to access the screen, contact your company's Rank Ranger account administrator to request that your user permissions
be set to include access to the Account Settings > API & Connected Apps
You can obtain API Keys per user if your Rank Ranger account has API access by navigating to
2. API Resources
3. API Key Generator
4. Click the Generate Key
5. Select a User and add a note (optional)
6. Click the Add
To make construction of API requests easy, we offer this API testing tool. Most parameters are included in the options of the console, however, you may need to add custom option parameters to your API requests based on the specific API you're using. Referencing the parameters information that is listed in the specific API method documentation, you can construct and test API requests in Rank Ranger's API Console
by navigating to:
2. API Resources > API Console
3. Select the Method and complete the applicable fields
4. Click the Generate
5. Test your API method by clicking the launch URL icon and view your results. Once your results are as you want them, copy that URL into your own application and modify as needed for each request.
Getting Started: Samples of APIs used for Creating Campaigns
We recommend reviewing our Best Practices Guide
prior to structuring campaigns.
Get Packages Info
: Required when there is more than 1 package in an account
Add a Profile
: An option for adding an identifier to your campaigns for categorization (e.g., by language, country, etc)
Get Profile ID list
: Optional Data needed for Add a Campaign
Obtain the Search Engine List
: Data needed for Add a Campaign
Add a Campaign
: Create a new campaign, response will include the Campaign ID number that is needed for adding a search engine and keywords
*Note that Profile ID is an optional field that you may use, if you choose not to use it, then please remove "&profile_id=ProfileIDnumber” from the end of this call
Add a Search Engine
: Add search engine to a campaign
Add a Keyword
: An optional field is available for keyword_identifier field, allowing you to add your own unique identifier to each keyword
Bulk Add Keywords
: You may download and use the spreadsheet found on the Campaign Settings > Keywords screen to organize and import your keywords, or use this API
You'll find additional API methods in the Account Management and Data documentation
Rank Ranger APIs can pull up to 100 queries per minute. If more than 10,000 API GET requests per hour is required, then there is an option available at an additional throughput fee, contact customer service for assistance.
Rank Reporting Method Limits
Research API Methods
- Rank Data & Research Reporting API methods can only provide data from campaigns tracking in your Rank Ranger account.
- You can run an unlimited number of queries through the API.
Search API Method Limits
- The variety of Research Method APIs have limits on the number of queries per day based on the capacity of your package. If you require additional units, please contact customer service and an account manager will provide you with package upgrade pricing.
- SEO Intelligence API method query limits are based on the number of units purchased for your custom plan (e.g., 1 unit = 1 keyword tracked on 1 search engine, 1 time).
- Search API plans do not include access to the reporting platform.